Conjugation of verb REÍR

The verb REÍR means to laugh.‎ Its reflexive "reírse" has the same meaning. Dictionaries give the same definition for both, but in the everyday usage reírse is the most common of the two. While “yo reí” is translated as "I laughed," you will usually say “yo me reí”.
This verb is irregular in the Present, Preterit and Future, and it follows the regular ‎conjugation for the Imperfect Tense.‎

so here it goes...‎

CONJUGATION


PRESENT


Yo río

Tú ríes

Él, ella, usted ríe

Nosotros, nosotras reímos

Vosotros, vosotras reís

Ellos, ellas, ustedes ríen


********************


PRETERIT


Yo reí

Tú reíste

Él, ella, usted rió

Nosotros, nosotras reímos

Vosotros, vosotras reísteis

Ellos, ellas, ustedes rieron


********************


FUTURE


Yo reiré

Tú reirás‎

Él, ella, usted reirá

Nosotros, nosotras reiremos

Vosotros, vosotras reiréis

Ellos, ellas, ustedes reirán

********************


For the Imperfect, the verb reír follows the regular rule: stem of the ‎verb + endings :‎

- reía (yo)‎

‎- reíais (tú)‎

‎- reía (él, ella, ud.)‎

‎- reíamos (nosotros/as)‎

‎- reíais (vosotros/as)‎

‎- reían (él, ella, uds.)‎
‎ ‎


Uses of verb REÍR


  • If you are saying what makes a person laugh, you use the verb “REÍR” on its infinitive form, using the verb HACER as an auxiliary, in this case :

- Las películas de Woody Allen siempre me hacen reír .
- Woody Allen's films always make me laugh.

- Ese payaso hizo reír a todos los niños.
- That clown made all the children laugh.

- No me puedo enojar con Pedro, siempre me hace reír.
- I cannot get angry with Pedro, he always makes me laugh.

  • Reírse de - When followed by "de", the reflexive form usually means "to make fun of" or "to laugh at":
- Mi hermana se reía de mí.
- My sister used to make fun of me.

- Todos se rieron del discurso del Director.
- They all laughed at the speech of the Director.



Expressions with REÍR


echarse a reír to burst out laughing

el que ríe último ríe mejor - he who laughs last laughs longest

¿de qué te ríes? - What are you laughing (at)?

eso me dió risa - that made me laugh

reír a carcajadas - to laugh excessively and loudly

reírse por lo bajo - to snicker, to snigger

¡no me hagas reír! - Don't make me laugh!

Reír sin parar - Non-stop laughing




Other verbs who follow the same conjugation as REÍR does are :

freír (to fry)

sonreír (to smile).



Exercise with verb REÍR (and REÍRSE):



Fill the blanks with the correct conjugation according to the time adverbs and the context of ‎each sentence.‎ In this excercise you can choose to use either REÍR or REÍRSE, remember that both forms almost always mean the same. In some cases you need to use the infinitive form.
1) Cuando yo estaba preocupado, Marina siempre me hacía ______.‎
2) El show me gustó y _____ sin parar.
3) No sabíamos si _____ o llorar.
4) Ustedes disfrutarán mucho de la película y _____ mucho.
5) Tú _____ todo el tiempo, y no podías hablar.
6) Ellos _____ de la situación, porque era de verdad muy cómica.
7) Elsa y Juan _____ cuando escuchen ese chiste.
8) El Sr. Maciel _____ a carcajadas cuando le contaron la noticia.

Click HERE for the Answers


Video Presentation:


I didn´t find any video lesson about Verb REÍR, so let´s laugh all together with those babies at least ;)
A REÍR !!!





ANSWERS


1) Cuando yo estaba preocupado, Marina siempre me hacía reír.‎
2) El show me gustó y me reí sin parar.
3) No sabíamos si reír o llorar.
4) Ustedes disfrutarán mucho de la película y se reirán mucho.
5) Tú reías todo el tiempo, y no podías hablar.
6) Ellos rieron de la situación, porque era de verdad muy cómica.
7) Elsa y Juan reirán cuando escuchen ese chiste.
8) El Sr. Maciel se rió a carcajadas cuando le contaron la noticia.

No comments:

Post a Comment